Tuesday, March 22, 2022

FAIR ELLEN MEETS LOCHINVAR AND LANCELOT

Oh young Lochinvar was galloping east,

Having quietly departed his own wedding feast, 

It seems his fair Ellen had told him to scram,

She’d decided Sir Lancelot would be her man.


But off in the distance young Lochinvar’s eyes,

Fell on a fair lady, how sad were her cries!

He slowed his brave horse to a leisurely trot, 

Until he had reached her: the Lady of Shalott! 


“Why are you weeping?” was Lochinvar’s query,

“I’ve been dumped!” said the lady, her eyes sad and teary.

“But now I am happy, no longer afraid,

“Because it appears you have come to my aid!”


Lord Lochinvar held out his hand, which she took,

And jumped onto his horse, with no backward look.

And what of fair Ellen, Lord Lochinvar’s ex?

She rode off with Sir Lancelot and had lots of good times!  


Joan Levin, 2022


-------------------

N.B. This parody requires familiarity with Sir Walter Scott's poem Lochinvar, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem The Lady of Shalott.  


There are a few versions online of both of these poems; here I used more abbreviated versions. 


The Lady of Shalott:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45359/the-lady-of-shalott-1832


And here is Lochinvar: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/52300/lochinvar


CHICAGO CHICAGO BY FRANK SINATRA

[Verse 1] Chicago, Chicago, that toddling town Chicago, Chicago, I will show you around, I love it Bet your bottom dollar you'll lose th...